[Dovecot] Question about "target is inferior" type of message

Michael Durket durket at highwire.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 17 18:00:14 EEST 2009

We're converting UW-IMAP users here to dovecot. Some of them have seen
the error message
issued when Thunderbird clients try to delete folders and I understand
what's going on (from
folders.

What puzzles me is that many of these users already have folders
within folders (I've found
typically 2 levels of nested folders within their main Mail
directory). And they're not complaining
that they can't read the messages in those folders. If UW-IMAP
supposedly never supported
this for mbox format, and Dovecot doesn't support it, how is this
possible under Dovecot?
(We don't have any maildir format mailboxes here at all).