[Dovecot] Dovecot v1.2 share user Maildir problems with %%h

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Thu Jun 18 10:44:01 EEST 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> I've copied the default mail_location and changed its CONTROL and INDEX
>> settings:
>>
>> namespace shared {
>
> What does this "..." contain? :) Like prefix, separator?

My complete conf is attached at the original mail.

>> a) IMAP insists to connect to $install_prefix/var/run/dovecot/auth-master
>> instead of /var/run/dovecot/auth-master used by deliver.
>
> It connects to base_dir/var/run/dovecot/ where base_dir is the setting
> in dovecot.conf.

It's install_prefix. The log says:
IMAP(user) [10363]: Error: userdb lookup:
connect(/usr/local/dovecot-1.2.rc5unpatched/var/run/dovecot/auth-master)
failed: Permission denied

But the conf has:

base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/

Also, auth default | socket | master contains the setting:
path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master

Deliver works with this conf without the symlink.

> I would have used a different group than "mail", since it's often used
> by the system for other things too.

Hmm, I'll investigate where the group "mail" comes from.

>> There had been a suggestion of a special user-shared namespace a while
>> back. How about to add the base location in the shared-mailboxes.db? So
>> instead of "1" the value is the base of the shared location, e.g.
>> maildir:/local/testuser or maildir:/home/user/Maildir..., and some %%?
>> token takes the string from there. Because the path is known from the db
>> now, the other problems mentioned above do no longer apply.
>
> And when the path is changed in userdb, it points to a wrong location.

Well,

a) as there is no way to return/use the mail_location of the sharing user,
the location is possibly wrong anyway, because mail_location is not
neccessarily derived from the user's home in the same way always.

b) I considered mail_location stable after setup. But you are right, that
this is not neccessaily so. One would need some sort of book keeping to
keep the redundant data in shared-mailboxes.db in sync.

Bye,

- --
Steffen Kaiser