[Dovecot] quota.

Thu Jun 18 14:57:24 EEST 2009

On 6/18/2009 7:37 AM, Mauro wrote:
>>> I am disappointed that the new debian stable has dovecot 1.0
>>> rather than dovecot 1.1.

>> They *always* have ancient versions... its one reaosn reason I
>> never used debian...

> I think debian is a good distribution for servers.

I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking Debian... I just really
dislike the whole idea of limiting a server longterm to a specific
version of a critical application when it isn't necessary, and then
refusing to even try to support it if someone decides to use backports
to get around this limitation. But its just my personal opinion.

> What do you use?

Sorry, no intention to start a distro-war, but I have always preferred
gentoo for servers... it isn't perfect, but gives me the control I like,
and as long as you are careful with updates, it never breaks. I have 2
that have been running for over 4 years, that have all survived (without
incident) major GCC upgrades (3.x to 4.x), and never had a crash or
compromise (that I'm aware of, at least ;)... but of course, there are
tons of people that can say pretty much the same for any distro out
there. I'm not under any kind of illusion that gentoo is 'special' in
that way... I just really like the package manager. :)

I wouldn't use it for a Desktop though - I use Windows with VirtualBox
at work, but am seriously considering replacing it with PC-BSD... I just
wish I could run Windows in VirtualBox using PCBSD as the host...

--

Best regards,

Charles