[Dovecot] Managesieve fails to retrieve scripts > 8kB on Dovecot 1.1.16

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Fri Jun 19 14:17:10 EEST 2009

After some help with debugging tips on #dovecot, I have established that
a sieve script on Dovecot 1.1.16 has to be less than 8kB in order to be
retrieved by a managesieve client.  I have been using managesieve for
about 6 months over as many 1.1.n versions of dovecot as have been
around during that time and hit this problem when I upgraded to Dovecot
1.1.16.  I have gone back to Dovecot 1.1.15 and can once again manage my
9kB sieve script remotely.

Symptoms were that managesieve login was OK but instead of displaying my
sieve script, the script editing window was empty.  After 30 seconds the
client gave me a timeout message.  If I entered a small script in the
empty client edit window and saved it, the new, small script was saved
to the server and became active.  I could then successfully retrieve and
edit that small script.

I tried hacking a few lines at a time out of my 9kB script (locally on
the server).  When it was down to 8.4KB I still couldn't get it through
managesieve.  The next hack took it down to 7.7kB and I could get that
through managesieve.  So, I'm guessing there's a magic 8192 number in
there somewhere - perhaps a buffer?

 Server
  dovecot 1.1.16
  dovecot-sieve 1.1.6
  dovecot-managesieve 0.10.6
  FreeBSD 7.2

 Client
  Thunderbird 2.0.21
  Sieve 0.1.6

A special thanks to all who write this stuff: it's great!

--
John Marshall