[Dovecot] A X-Mailbox header?

Alessandro Ranellucci alex at primafila.net
Mon Jun 22 13:49:34 EEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm waiting for the virtual mailbox feature in order to make a
single POP3 access to retrieve messages contained in all my
mailbox folders. This is because I use webmail and other IMAP
clients but my main workstation uses a POP3-only client.

I was wondering if there's a way to keep the name of the folder
containing each message while retrieving via POP3. I guess this
could be done by dynamically adding a header to messages at
retrieval time. Is there a feature for this or a plugin API?

Otherwise I was thinking about modifying the messages themselves
on the server using a script. However, such a script would need
to be run when a IMAP user moves a message to a folder and I
believe Dovecot doesn't provide a trigger/hook mechanism. I also
don't know if modifying stored messages is allowed since it
could break some caching/hashing mechanism.

Do you have any idea for this?

Thanks in advance and thanks to Timo for the great work!

     - alessandro.