[Dovecot] How do I get my mail from fetchmail into dovecot

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jun 22 14:26:52 EEST 2009

Am 29.04.2009, 21:31 Uhr, schrieb Andrzej Adam Filip
<andrzej.filip at gmail.com>:

> Michael Steinbeck-Reeves <michael at steinbeck-reeves.uk.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> That is the problem, fetchmail just forwards it to port 25 (I think) and
>> I need to work out what to put between fetchmail and dovecot in order to
>> get the mail into the correct folders...
>>
>> And I am just going around in circles on this at the moment. Any hint
>> would be appreciated!
>
> You can use mda option provided in fetchmail as SMTP alternative.
> I recommend using procmail as mda in ~/.fetchmailrc e.g.:
>   mda "/usr/bin/procmail -tY -m /home/user/.procmail/account-1.rc"
> and calling dovecot's deliver inside procmail scripts
>   DELIVER="/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver"
>   DELIVERFLAGS="-e"
>
>   :0 w
>   |$DELIVER $DELIVERFLAGS
>
> Using procmail provides nice hook for extra processing e.g.
> * spam filtering/tagging
> * virus detection
> You can make fetchmail use dovecot's deliver direclty in mda option

I advise against the use of procmail for fresh installs. Use maildrop
instead. It is maintained, has cleaner code, cleaner interfaces, much
better error handling and an easier-to-read syntax. =>
http://www.courier-mta.org/maildrop/

--
Matthias Andree