[Dovecot] Expire-Plugin segmentation fault (Re: Can expire-tool skip folders with "expire time in future" errors?)

Ralph Seichter dovecot-ml at seichter.de
Mon Jun 22 15:48:18 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> The only thing it needs is a trigger similar to PostgreSQL has in
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Expire.

Well, at least SQLite knows CREATE TRIGGER, which might be a good omen.
;-) Speaking of DB backends for the expire plugin, I experimented with
MySQL in combination with Dovecot 1.1.16 as long as BerkeleyDB remains
uncooperative. This is the mailbox layout:

  john
  john/Admin/Foo
  john/Trash

  sue
  sue/News/Bar
  sue/Trash

I'm using the sieve plugin to divert some incoming mail to john/Admin/Foo
or sue/News/Bar respectively, but the 'expires' table in MySQL never
shows entries for these two mailboxes. Moving mail manually to these two
mailboxes (using Thunderbird) also fails to generate entries in 'expires'.
So far, there are only two lines in the 'expires' table:

  john/Trash
  sue/Trash

These were created after I deleted messages using Thunderbird. Have I
misconfigured something? My dovecot.conf contains the following data:

  protocol imap {
    mail_plugins = expire
  }

  protocol lda {
    mail_plugins = cmusieve expire
  }

  dict {
    expire = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-expire.conf
  }

  plugin {
    expire = Trash 1 Trash/* 1 Admin/Foo 3 */Admin/Foo 3 News/Bar 3 */News/Bar 3 */Foo 3 */Bar 3
    expire_dict = proxy::expire
    sieve = /etc/dovecot/sieve/%u.sieve
  }

As you can see, I tried various patterns to refer to folders Foo and
Bar, but it does not seem to work. Trash appears to be OK, though. BTW,
these are the contents of /etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-expire.conf:

  connect = host=localhost dbname=db user=dbuser password=dbpass
  table = expires
  select_field = expire_stamp
  where_field = mailbox
  username_field = not_used

Could you please give me a hint? I am willing to stick with MySQL for
the time being, but I have to get it working first. ;-)

-R