[Dovecot] CRAM-MD5 authentication but plain-md5 password storage.

Richard richardfive at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 21:26:27 EEST 2009

Hi all,

Got a question on configuring dovecot, I'm still new at this so I
might be doing this all wrong.

I want dovecot to authenticate the mail client using CRAM-MD5 so I've
setup the config in dovecot.conf:

auth default {

    mechanisms = cram-md5
    passdb sql {
      # Path for SQL configuration file, see doc/dovecot-sql-example.conf
       args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
     }

  <snipped>
}

In my dovecot-sql.conf I've setup the password scheme to be:

default_pass_scheme = MD5

Somehow this does not work, the error I see in the logfile is:
auth-worker(default): password(info at richard5.tld,127.0.0.1): Requested
CRAM-MD5 scheme, but we have only MD5

Is there a way to get this working or does this feature only works
with passwords stored in plain text ?

Thanks!

Richard