[Dovecot] CRAM-MD5 authentication but plain-md5 password storage.

Richard richardfive at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 21:49:39 EEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Pascal
Volk<user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org> wrote:

> Either use plain text, but this is NOT recommended, or dovecotpw:
>        /path/to/dovecotpw -p plaintexpassword
>        {CRAM-MD5}aba976aa6a7f048a82db01301075725bf42c6ad98f01a2747a853e0f479e25f8
>
> Or w/o -p password, for the interactive mode.
>

> Regards,
> Pascal

Pascal, thanks for the quick reply. I'm using postfixadmin for user
administration so I guess plaintext passwords is the current solution.

Excuse my newbie question but I want to try and understand this. What
is the reason to have to use plaintext passwords for this kind of
authentication?

Regards,

Richard