[Dovecot] dovecot-acl-list not honouring owner / permissions that are set on dovecot-shared

Stuart Rowan strr-debian at decisionsoft.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 14:07:17 EEST 2009

Hi,

I've just upgraded our dovecot installation from 1.0.15 to 1.1.13.

This went smoothly and just worked -- thank you very much for writing such
a high performance and robust piece of software.

However, we have a shared mailbox that people can subscribe to. After
upgrading to 1.1.13 ... dovecot tries to create a dovecot-acl-list file in
the top level of this ... but it creates it chown'd to the first logged in
user with a umask of -rw- --- ---

A.
-rw------- 1 userA shared 17179 2009-06-25 11:10
/home/imapshared/SharedMaildir/dovecot-acl-list

Everyone else who tried to access the shared folder (and hence dovecot
tried to read / update the dovecot-acl-list file) caused an error to be
logged to the error.log

I changed the permissions (once I realised what had gone wrong) to match
those on the dovecot-shared file and all was well as everyone can now
read/update it.

B.
-rw-rw---- 1 imapshared shared 17179 2009-06-25 11:19
/home/imapshared/SharedMaildir/dovecot-acl-list

-rw-rw---- 1 imapshared shared     0 2008-04-25 13:20
/home/imapshared/SharedMaildir/dovecot-shared

Also from time to time the permissions seem to get changed back on
dovecot-acl-list inexplicably to those in situation A -- usually following
a restart of dovecot but I haven't been able to reproduce this reliably.

This seems like a bug to me ... do you agree / is there a sensible work-around?

The declaration in dovecot.conf for the shared namespace sets user specific
CONTROL and INDEX locations so that users can independently subscribe to
folders and mark messages as read on an individual basis.

Many thanks,
Stu.