[Dovecot] Capability COMPRESS implemented?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 26 00:16:43 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 21:49 +0100, Ed W wrote:
> >> Timo normally chimes in pretty fast on these types of questions - Any
> >> chance of a yay/nay on the COMPRESS option Timo?
> >
> > Maybe. I'm kind of busy with other stuff though..
> >

> Understood
>
> Please take it as a +1 interested here.  I guess you don't take external
> paid work now...

Yeah, not for next half a year at least. Anyway, it would basically need
istream and ostream implementations for zlib. istream implementation
kind of already exists in zlib plugin, except it's using gz*() functions
instead of doing everything in memory. So:

 - create zlib istream using zlib's deflate*() functions (I think?) and
which takes another istream as input
 - convert zlib plugin to use that stream instead
 - implement zlib ostream
 - create yet another proxy to login processes. Probably some day I
should combine all of them to one that only proxies i/ostreams. Although
implementing SSL i/ostreams could be a bit difficult.