[Dovecot] Maildir format use question

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Mar 2 08:37:34 EET 2009

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Rick Romero wrote:

> So I'm left with a quandry.  I guess the simple question is, Should mail
> in cur, EVER not have a flag?  I suppose if it were marked as UNSEEN
> after being SEEN, that's possible.  So I just answered myself there :)

Just SELECTing a mailbox causes Dovecot to

> Is it possible to have Dovecot NOT move a file from new/ to cur/ until a
> flag has been assigned to the mail?  Just from a, possible, performance
> standpoint - it seems when accessing an INBOX from a PHP webmail system
> with MANY new mails, there is an unnecessary(?) mass move of these files
> to another folder.

No, (as I understand it) because the time when they are moved to cur/ is
when they are assigned UIDs.

You can avoid this performance loss (as I understand it) by using Dovecot
deliver to deliver the messages straight into cur/. (Others including
Timo, correct me if I misunderstand!)

-- Asheesh.

--
Many pages make a thick book, except for pocket Bibles which are on very
very thin paper.