[Dovecot] dovecot imap and thunderbird tags

Lorenzo Bettini bettini at dsi.unifi.it
Mon Mar 2 17:29:05 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
>
>> We've been using an imap(s) dovecot server for a while on an ubuntu
>> 8.04.2 and we noted that tags set by thunderbird ("important", "to
>> do", etc.) are almost always lost, i.e., when connecting to the same
>> imap account from another machine, the tags are not there anymore...
>> this always happens for the Inbox, and seldomly for other imap
>> folders... anyone else experiencing this?
>
> Are you using mbox files? Sounds like the same problem as "Custom flags
> in v1.0.15" a few days ago. Upgrading to v1.1 fixed that. Or setting
> mbox_lazy_writes=no.

Hi there

I checked in our dovecot.conf and there was

#mbox_lazy_writes=yes

i.e., it was commented, and probably defaults to yes.  I changed it into

mbox_lazy_writes=no

restarted dovecot, and did a quick test with two machines, and it looks
like it's working now! :-)

I want to do some other tests and then get back to you

thanks a lot for now :-)
cheers
	Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net