[Dovecot] Maildir format use question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 2 18:40:57 EET 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 12:41 -0600, Rick Romero wrote:
> I've got a couple servers using Maildir format.  As I understand it from
> a simple perspective, 'new' contains newly delivered messages, and 'cur'
> contains messages that have been 'handled'.

I'm not sure if there's anything official, but typically messages are
moved from new/ to cur/ the first time they're seen by a MUA. Dovecot
adds \Recent flag to that session which managed to move the message to
cur/.

> Is it possible to have Dovecot NOT move a file from new/ to cur/ until a
> flag has been assigned to the mail?

By changing the code, sure. I'm not really interested in implementing
that.

> Just from a, possible, performance
> standpoint - it seems when accessing an INBOX from a PHP webmail system
> with MANY new mails, there is an unnecessary(?) mass move of these files
> to another folder.

You could try dbox format for better performance.