[Dovecot] imap locking spool?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 4 01:30:00 EET 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Mark Hedges wrote:

>> Ah. Well, the last choice is then:
>>
>> mbox_read_locks = dotlock
>> mbox_write_locks = dotlock
>>
>> Dotlocking for reading isn't really optimal, but shouldn't
>> really make much of a difference usually.
>
> I tried that before, that would be great if it worked for
> imap, but I've verified that the dotlock file does not get
> created in /var/spool/mail/username.lock when I open the
> imap connection, at least for reading.  It is created when I
> open the popmail connection (but that was already working.)

If you set mbox_read_locks=dotlock, it should get created whenever
Dovecot is reading the mbox file. But it's created ONLY during those
times. For example opening a mailbox whose index files are up-to-date
doesn't cause dotlock to be created. And when the mbox is actually
being read, the dotlock is deleted immediately after the IMAP command
is finished.

Does openwebmail create longer existing locks?