[Dovecot] ACLs are applied recursively to sub mailboxes

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Wed Mar 4 18:01:21 EET 2009

Hi *,

The problem is most noticeable when a user shares his INBOX[0][1] with
others:

User A sets his INBOX acls to "eilprwtsd"

Now User B can see _all_ sub mailboxes and sub sub [...] mailboxes and
their contents of User A:

User A:
  g getacl INBOX
  * ACL "INBOX" "A at example.com" akxeilprwtscd "B at example.com" eilprwtsd "A at example.com" lrwstipekxacd
  g OK Getacl completed.
  g getacl INBOX/foobar
  * ACL "INBOX/foobar" "1 at aztec.intevation.de" lrwstipekxacd

User B:
  l list "" "*"
  * LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "user"
  * LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "user/1 at aztec.intevation.de"
  * LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "INBOX"
  * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX/Gesendet"
  * LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "user/1 at aztec.intevation.de/foobar"
  * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "user/1 at aztec.intevation.de/foobar/barbaaz"
  * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "user/1 at aztec.intevation.de/INBOX"
  l OK List completed.

The RfC is not to verbose on this topic of scope, but I think the
following excerpt from RfC4314:

  2.  Access Control

  [...]

     An access control list is a set of <access identifier,rights>
     pairs.  An ACL applies to a mailbox name.

indicates that ACLs are only valid for individual mailboxes (name) and
not for sub mailboxes.

cheers
sascha

[0] Yes, there are really actual users wanting to do this.
[1] There is actually another bug in this context I'll report in my next
    mail...
--
Sascha Wilde                                          OpenPGP key: 4BB86568
http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/                  http://www.intevation.de/