[Dovecot] set \Seen flag on mail

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Thu Mar 5 00:08:55 EET 2009

J.P. Trosclair wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to set the \Seen flag on certain mail no matter
> what. Currently I'm using a global sieve script to do this. From what
> I've read, there is no way to enforce the global script if the user
> creates their own sieve script.
>
> More details:
>
> I have a postfix transport that along with sender_bcc_maps and
> recipient_bcc_maps uses deliver to create a read only archive of user's
> mail. The mail intended to be archived is stored in a per user imap
> folder called "Archives" that uses the ACL plugin to make the messages
> there read only. In addition to that, I want the mail marked as \Seen
> upon delivery so that user's who subscribe to the Arhives folder don't
> see new mail indications and what not when mail is delivered there.
>
> Is there a better way to set the \Seen flag other than the global sieve
> script since it can be overridden by the user?

The new Sieve implementation for Dovecot v1.2 has support for the
multiscript feature which enables you to execute multiple scripts
sequentially, meaning that you can force a specific script to execute
before whatever the user has uploaded.

Read the INSTALL file for a concise explanation:

http://hg.rename-it.nl/dovecot-libsieve/file/tip/INSTALL

Read the original internet draft for more detailed information:

http://ietfreport.isoc.org/all-ids/draft-degener-sieve-multiscript-00.txt

Regards,

Stephan.