[Dovecot] General approach question - am I doing this the right way?

Alan Bates chupame at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:27:34 EET 2009

Quick outline of my current working setup:

I'm running dovecot 1.0.5 as an IMAP mail server on my ubuntu home server,
which i connect to with my phone and several other machines to check my mail
etc.

i use getmail to collect mail from my various pop accounts. getmail filters
the mail using spamassassin via a Filter_external, before moving it to my
Maildir on the home server.

Then when I connect to the home server from my various machines, IMAP
manages the status of all the mail, so unread messages are common etc.

All works very nicely. However I'd like to fix a minor annoyance...

...Spamassassin marks mail as SPAM but the mail client has to do the job of
moving it to the Junk folder. I'd like the mail to be filtered on the home
server on receipt.

Am I just making things really complicated for myself? Is there a simpler
setup for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions