[Dovecot] which architecture to use?

Thu Mar 12 14:44:14 EET 2009

On 3/12/2009, GVG GVG (gvgter at googlemail.com) wrote:
> I'll first give a try with sendmail cause is already installed and people
> here are not willing to change that easily!

sendmail will work, and as long as you have admin(s) who can make it
work securely, then it is fine...

> Is that the reason I found documentation in the dovecot wiki for
> postfix only? I mean how to create virtual users with postfix!

Again... creating/managing users is NOT an MTA function, so this
question has nothing to do with sendmail vs postfix...

You can use LDAP, or one of the SQLs to create/store/manage user
accounts. Postfixadmin is a web based frontend for such a purpose...

> I wanted to give anyone the possibility to create an account. No
> specific reason behind that. Just because its easier and quicker for
> the user!

But think in terms of security...

If you WANT some kind of system where just anyone can create a free
account, like yahoo, or gmail, or whatever, then you'll need to find a
suitable system that will provide this, that also takes into account the
bots that are out there that would love to take advantage of your system
to send spam...

I strongly discourage doing this, unless it is a part of the business model.

If the above is NOT the case, then this is what sys admins are for... to
create and manage the user accounts, and keep the server secure.