[Dovecot] which architecture to use?

Thu Mar 12 18:34:35 EET 2009

On 3/12/2009, tomas at tuxteam.de (tomas at tuxteam.de) wrote:
>> Again... creating/managing users is NOT an MTA function, so this
>> question has nothing to do with sendmail vs postfix...

> if you don't want to set up your MTA to accept mail for
> anybody at yourdomain.com (and this is an unattractive option nowadays,
> with all that spam)

Catchalls are a bad idea in general, regardless of the spam situation,
as they break recipient validation for senders (they don't know that
they typo'd the email address)...

> then your MTA has to know what users to accept mail from. So yes, *in
> most cases* the MTA has to know about your user database as well.

Ummm... try again...

I didn't say it shouldn't KNOW about users - which, absolutely, should
be a REQUIREMENT (except in certain very special cases) - I said it
isn't its job to CREATE/MANAGE them...