[Dovecot] Problem with sasl auth with postfix...

Douglas M. Stanley doug at technologixllc.com
Fri Mar 13 22:01:31 EET 2009

Hello list,

I'm running into some problems, and I couldn't find any info about this anywhere on the net.

I recently set up a new debian lenny machine, and used my notes from the last debian etch
machine I set up, which basically is for postfix + dovecot for sasl auth.

On my old etch box, in the dovecot.conf, in the auth default section, I have a
  socket listen {
    client {
      path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode = 0660
      user = postfix
      group = postfix
    }
  }

However, if I use the same config on my lenny setup, dovecot fails to start, and I see this
in my logs:

Mar 13 19:16:30 mailserver dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.15 starting up
Mar 13 19:16:30 mailserver dovecot: auth(default): User doesn't exist: postfix
Mar 13 19:16:30 mailserver dovecot: Auth process died too early - shutting down
Mar 13 19:16:30 mailserver dovecot: child 4623 (auth) returned error 89

Now if I comment out the user and group lines, it works fine, but the socket is
owned by root, and so I have to change the mode line so that it's world readable
in order for postfix to use it.

The version of dovecot in etch is: 1.0.rc15-2etch4
and the version in lenny is: 1.0.15-2.3

Any ideas why this might be happening? Did the syntax to do this change between those
versions? Any input? I guess I don't mind leaving it world readable, but I wasted an
entire morning trying everything to get it to work, so I guess I'm hoping some one
atleast has an answer as to why it doesn't work.

Thanks,

Doug