[Dovecot] fchown() error with Public Folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 13 23:20:13 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 11:11 -0700, Stephen Carville wrote:
> dovecot: IMAP(stephen): fchown() failed with file
> /home/stephen/Maildir/CS/.Incoming/dovecot.index.log: Operation not
> permitted
>
> As I understand it, dovecot runs as root but the the IMAP process that
> servicers the request runs as the user so naturally the fchown()
> fails.

fchown() only tries to change the group, not the owner. It's possible to
make it succeed by making the process belong to the group.

Do you have dovecot-shared file in the .Incoming/ directory? Dovecot
tries to use that file's group. If you don't want it to do that, you can
chmod g+s dovecot-shared and it's not preserved.