[Dovecot] Problem with sasl auth with postfix...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 14 00:40:05 EET 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 18:35 -0400, Douglas M. Stanley wrote:
> > Oh. I've heard this before! You've set auth_process_size to 64. Why?
> > It's too low and causes NSS plugin loading to fail silently and
> > return
> > "User doesn't exist" error. Wonder if I could detect this somehow..

Done: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/abef63c0613b

It now logs:

getpwnam() failed for some reason. Is auth_process_size set to too low?

> Huh, how odd...well the reason was it's in a VM with only 128mb total
> memory, so I set it lower. Should have known it was something silly like
> that that I changed from my original config and didn't think it would
> matter!

The *_process_size are VSZ limits, not RSS limits. So if you're using an
OS which uses address space layout randomization or something else that
causes each process to take about 64 MB of VSZ simply at startup, you
really shouldn't set the limits very low.