[Dovecot] setting up both system password users AND virtual users

Linux Advocate linuxhousedn at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 14 06:45:36 EET 2009

> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] setting up both system password users AND virtual users
>
> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 17:54 -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:
>
> > I've got the "system" working, but cannot figure out how to add the virtual
> system.
> > The docs aren't quite clear enough for me to understand.
> >
> > The wiki example for dynamic passwd-file locations
> > shows:  mail_location = maildir:/home/%d/%n/Maildir
> > userdb passwd-file  etc etc

yeah, i had difficulty in understanding the docs as well especially the sql queries.
i have postfix+dovecot+postfixadmin working with virtual users. U will need to make adjustments for exim. i used dovecot's LDA and its SASL fucntionality.

 I have appended here my dovecot.conf .

## Dovecot configuration file

protocols = imap pop3
disable_plaintext_auth = no

protocol lda {
 postmaster_address = abcdefgh at yahoo.com
}

auth default {
 mechanisms = plain
     userdb sql {
      args = /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
     }
     passdb sql {
                args = /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
     }
     socket listen {
                 master {
                 path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
                 mode = 0660
                 user = vmail
                 group = vmail
                 }
                client {
                path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
                mode = 0660
                user = postfix
                group = postfix
                }
     }
}

# Debugging options

auth_verbose = yes
auth_debug = yes
mail_debug = yes

There are other files which u need to setup such as /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf

driver = mysql
connect = host=localhost dbname=postfix user=postfix password=kpostfix
default_pass_scheme = PLAIN
password_query = SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u'
user_query = SELECT maildir, 101 AS uid, 101 AS gid FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u'

Good LUck