[Dovecot] expire tool in 1.1.11

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 16 18:57:04 EET 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 6:38 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 3/15/2009 6:26 AM, Harry Lachanas wrote:
>> I am on dovecot 1.1.11 trying to figure out the expire tool ....
>>
>> The thing is that when I had confed the exp tool there where a bunch
>> of mails inside the mail boxes. Thus it seems as if the database is
>> not updated about them. Is there a way to update it from command line
>> to include the old mails ???
>
> The way the expire tool works is, it starts counting from the date/
> time
> the emails are moved into the folder, NOT from the sate/time STAMP of
> the individual emails.

Right.

> So, the ones that were already in there were considered moved there
> the
> date/time you activated the expire plugin on that folder.

Not exactly. The move date is still looked up the same way, but the
problem is that the expire database gets updated only for newly saved/
copied mails. Currently there's no (easy) way to make it update the
database for existing mails.

Is this really a problem? Aren't most people anyway going to be
updating those mailboxes anyway? So it might take a few more extra
weeks to start expiring as configured, but after that things should be
back to normal.