[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA and "undeliverable" emails

Kat Wisnosky kat at advancedmicrotargeting.com
Tue Mar 17 18:35:09 EET 2009

Timo wrote:

> So Postfix delivers bounces to everyone by calling Dovecot LDA
> separately for each bounce? Looks like a Postfix configuration problem
> to me.

I should have been more specific... because we'd also changed domain names
at the time we moved over to using Dovecot as the LDA, I temporarily
disabled automatically bouncing mail addressed to invalid users because I
figured that we'd have at least one who decided that they didn't want the
standard formation of email addresses...  What I'd wanted to happen was for
Postfix to accept the message(s) and then for them to be delivered to the
postmaster address so that I could address the issue.

I'm still unsure as to why, when Dovecot couldn't find the user in the
tables, it copied the message to every user of the system - that seems like
odd behavior, which indicates that even though the system is "working", I
need to fine-tune something.

And at Charles request, here's the output of dovecot -n:

# 1.0.10: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
log_path: /var/log/dovecot
info_log_path: /var/log.dovecot.info
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
login_greeting: Dovecot ready
login_process_per_connection: no
valid_chroot_dirs: /var/spool/mail
max_mail_processes: 2048
mail_location: maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_process_size: 1024
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail outlook-idle netscape-eoh
pop3_uidl_format(default):
pop3_uidl_format(imap):
pop3_uidl_format(pop3): %08Xu%08Xv
pop3_client_workarounds: outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: .
  prefix: INBOX.
  inbox: yes
auth default_with_listener:
  mechanisms: plain login
  verbose: yes
  debug: yes
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: static
    args: uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/home/vmail/%d/%n allow_all_users=yes
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth