[Dovecot] Fatal: write() failed to info log: Interrupted system call

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 18 19:50:40 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 03:32 -0400, Janos Dohanics wrote:
> > > Fatal: write() failed to info log: Interrupted system call
..
> Thank you - Dovecot did mysteriously stop may be 2 other times over the past 2
> years or so.

Well, that's not horribly often. :) I guess you don't know if it gave
this same error previously also?

> Would it help if I set mail_executable
> = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/gdbhelper /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap,
> should this happen again? I suppose I could expect a lot of spece needed
> for /tmp/gdbhelper.* files if this doesn't happen for another 6 months...

No. But after thinking about it, I guess it's better not to die if the
signal happens. This should fix it:

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/12230cb6931b

And that also gives me an idea: Looks like it's possible to find out
what process sent a signal. Dovecot should be logging the PID and UID of
the sender whenever receiving a signal.