[Dovecot] Staged migration from mbox to maildir

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Wed Mar 18 20:10:53 EET 2009

So much changes in this migration that the ideal way to do it would be
to begin with a few users or a department, then migrate the users
affinity group by affinity group: first an institute or so, then the
faculty, then the staff, then the students, moving to bigger and bigger
groupings as the bugs work out of the migration and the move becomes
more assured.

We use sendmail and procmail.  There's no problem there, as the
~./procmailrc can be changed to over-ride the mbox default until all
groups are done and it become the default.
The problem comes with IMAP.  While dovecot can tell if a folder is mbox
or maildir, it has to be pointed to the right place (by namespace
definitions in the client, IIRC), and the default of putting the inbox
under ~/mail is one I'd like to embrace for various reason...but given
that that means moved inbox folders and *that* means either making a
global change (there goes staged migration) OR changing the namespace
definitions on each PC.  I can get to the early few and change the
namespaces definition, but there doesn't appear to any equivalent
(enlighten me, if I'm missing something) to ~/.procmailrc for imap, so
that I don't have to get on the client machine.

Is this correct or am I (hopefully) wrong and there *is* a way to change
things on the server that allows for staged migration?  Oh, I would so
like to be wrong!
IMAP should have an rc file.............
--
"Eppur si muove." (But Still it moves) Galileo, leaving the Inquisition,
after buckling under the threat of torture and excommunication and