[Dovecot] Slightly OT : Maildir format (silly) questions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 26 17:23:44 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 10:47 +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> Same question about the motivation in Courrier (Maildir++)  for emulating a
> hierarchy for subfolders (like in .folder.subfolder.subsubfolder) instead of
> (note : I know about layout=FS, I'm not talking about that) implementing a real
> filesystem hierarchy.

This is most likely because of Maildir++ quota. So for example if you
tell MDA to deliver mail to /foo/bar, should it use /foo/bar/maildirsize
or /foo/maildirsize file? It's especially problematic if the file
doesn't already exist. The solution was to have a "maildirfolder" file,
and if it exists it uses the parent directory's maildirsize file. This
wouldn't work at least as easily if it had to go multiple parent dirs
up.