[Dovecot] Panic: Trying to allocate 2147483648 bytes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 27 00:20:24 EET 2009

On Mar 26, 2009, at 1:00 PM, David Halik wrote:

> Any thoughts on this Timo? Just wondering if you were able to
> reproduce the problem and saw the same behavior. We can look into it
> more if need be, but since I can replicate it on both Fedora and
> Solaris, I'm guessing it's a fundamental bug with how certain
> malformed emails are searched.

Interesting that the only two people who reported this were running on
Solaris. Anyway, fixed:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/a2013dedbad0

I suppose that could be thought of as a DoS attack, but since it
requires user to search messages and have a very special kind of
email, and by default imap process size is limited to 256 MB, I don't
think I'll bother releasing v1.1.14 because of it.