[Dovecot] Upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1, plus migration from Maildir to dbox

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Mon Mar 30 03:37:57 EEST 2009

Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> So - time to make the
> leap.  I want to upgrade a live version 1.0 server to version 1.1 (from
> Ubuntu repositories, using version 1.0.10 to 1.1.4).

I did this recently on a Solaris install which was originally running
0.99.x, then 1.0.x and now 1.1 :)

> What special steps do I need to take to have this go smoothly?  At least
> I have some semi-tested configs for 1.1 that I can use.  Do I just stop
> the server, upgrade, upgrade the configs, start - and pray?  Or is there
> another step?

Nope.. that's all there is to it, unless the Upgrade notes on the dovecot
wiki say otherwise.  See http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading/1.1

> Also, my legacy installation was using maildir - I'd like to try
> shifting to dbox.  Do I just need to change the prefix on mail_location
> and the conversion will magically happen?

Hell no.  Converting between mail store formats is not done automagically,
and should never be seen as a 'trivial' action.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/MailFormat should be a good starting point.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net