[Dovecot] Panic: Trying to allocate 2147483648 bytes

Martin Preen preen at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Mar 30 18:01:10 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2009, at 1:00 PM, David Halik wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts on this Timo? Just wondering if you were able to
>> reproduce the problem and saw the same behavior. We can look into it
>> more if need be, but since I can replicate it on both Fedora and
>> Solaris, I'm guessing it's a fundamental bug with how certain
>> malformed emails are searched.
>
> Interesting that the only two people who reported this were running on
> Solaris. Anyway, fixed:
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/a2013dedbad0

In my case the error occured only sometimes. I made several tests with the
patch applied and the errror seems to be gone.

Thanks.
Martin

> I suppose that could be thought of as a DoS attack, but since it
> requires user to search messages and have a very special kind of email,
> and by default imap process size is limited to 256 MB, I don't think
> I'll bother releasing v1.1.14 because of it.

Martin Preen, Universität Freiburg, Institut für Informatik
Georges-Koehler-Allee 52, Raum 00-006, 79110 Freiburg, Germany

phone: ++49 761 203-8250      preen at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
fax: ++49 761 203-8242        www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de