[Dovecot] Convert from maildir to dbox

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Mar 31 05:21:15 EEST 2009

Ok...I made the leap.  Compiled a copy of 1.2b4 (very pleasant compile
BTW - almost no warnings, nice code Timo!)...tweaked a config...had a
few false starts...

1.2b4 seems to working quite nicely.  Now...for my next magical trick...

I would like to migrate from maildir to dbox.  I've tried using the
convert plugin, but it kept failing during the conversion.  I should
mention my paths:

home (old & new) = /var/mail/%d/%n
old mail = maildir:/var/mail/%d/%n
new mail = dbox:/var/mail/%d/%n/dbox

Note that "home" was defined as the same path as "mail" in my old config
- I'm looking to fix that as well during the migration.

I found entries in my mail log after the convert execution similar to:
Mar 30 19:00:52 bubba dovecot: IMAP(sfox at amfes.com):
rename(/var/mail/amfes.com/sfox/.dovecot.convert.lock/cur,
/var/mail/amfes.com/sfox/dbox/mailboxes/dovecot/convert/lock/dbox-Mails)
failed: Not a directory
Mar 30 19:01:41 bubba dovecot: IMAP(sfox at amfes.com): Mailbox conversion
failed for mailbox dovecot.convert.lock

Now that I'm staring at that line...I'm wondering if that "home=mail"
configuration is part of the problem.

I currently have about a dozen users on this box - but with very large
mailboxes (I still have archived mailing lists in mine!).  If there's a
few manual steps I need to perform to "condition" this setup prior to
conversion please advise.  Should I manually shift the mailboxes into a
"/var/mail/%d/%n/maildir" folder?
--
Daniel