[Dovecot] dbox - how to awaken the monster

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 22:13:29 EEST 2009

Hello people,

Since the invention of this storage called dbox, I have never quite gotten
round to understanding it, nor getting to use it. It seems so strange to me
and I must ask a few stupid questions about it.
I use the MTA to deliver mail to Maildir, either in ~/Maildir or
/some/path/%d/%n/Maildir. It has always beat me how dbox comes into play
under such circumstances. From the wiki, I see the following:
"dbox supports a quick migration from Maildir format" - now this leaves me
hanging. How? Suppose I migrate from Maildir to dbox, what changes do I make
to the MTA to understand that I use dbox?
Ok, I use Exim as my MTA.

I hope someone can explain to me what I need to do to Exim and what to do th
Dovecot so that I can test this dbox thing.
And suppose I want to transfer userA's mail to UserB, what do I do? With
Maildir, I can simply do something like

mv ~A/Maildir ~B/Maildir
chown -R B ~b/Maildir

Suppose I am using dbox, howdy?

Thank you in advance. I know those sound dumb, but I simply haven't
understood dbox.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,