[Dovecot] dbox - how to awaken the monster

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 22:38:01 EEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br> wrote:

> Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > Hello people,
> >
> > Since the invention of this storage called dbox, I have never quite
> gotten
> > round to understanding it, nor getting to use it. It seems so strange to
> me
> > and I must ask a few stupid questions about it.
> > I use the MTA to deliver mail to Maildir, either in ~/Maildir or
> > /some/path/%d/%n/Maildir. It has always beat me how dbox comes into play
> > under such circumstances. From the wiki, I see the following:
> > "dbox supports a quick migration from Maildir format" - now this leaves
> me
> > hanging. How? Suppose I migrate from Maildir to dbox, what changes do I
> make
> > to the MTA to understand that I use dbox?
> > Ok, I use Exim as my MTA.
> >
> > I hope someone can explain to me what I need to do to Exim and what to do
> th
> > Dovecot so that I can test this dbox thing.
> > And suppose I want to transfer userA's mail to UserB, what do I do? With
> > Maildir, I can simply do something like
> >

> exim does not know about dbox (it's a dovecot-specific format). You'd
> need to configure exim to use dovecot's deliver as LDA. There are
> instructions for that in the Wiki.

I thought so. Now I have seen, read and understood (so far)
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Exim.
However I do not see any examples for configuring dovecot for dbox. Is it as
easy as s/maildir/dbox/g in the following:

mail_location =
maildir:/var/spool/virtual/%d/%n/Maildir:INDEX=/var/dovecot/%u:CONTROL=/var/dovecot/%u

And suppose I wanted to redeliver mail stored in dbox, using the MTA?? For
example, I have used the following script to redeliver mail stored in
Maildir:

#!/bin/sh
#
email=$(find $*)
#
{
 for x in ${email};
  do
  sendmail odhiambo at gmail.com < ${x};
 done
}

I'd invoke this as `/path/to/script /dir/to/list` (/path/to/script
Maidir/new for instance)

Ok. Sorry it looks like I have unending questions:(

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,