[Dovecot] How do I get my mail from fetchmail into dovecot?

Andreas Ntaflos daff at dword.org
Fri May 1 17:28:56 EEST 2009

On Friday 01 May 2009 00:33:49 Michael Steinbeck-Reeves wrote:
> Hi Andreas
>
> I sort of have it working but am still not quite there...
>
> I have created virtual users with homes under their mail folders
> (using mbox), as recommended in the Dovecot Wiki VirtualUsers
> section.

Hi,

The examples I gave, and the setup I have running, are for system users
with real accounts. I don't know how this would translate for virtual
users although it should be doable. Unfortunately I don't have the
possibility to create a test setup that matches yours at the moment so
I'm afraid I don't think I can help you much more.

I'd try, however, to correct the errors the log files show you, and
while you are at it, you might want to ditch mbox for Maildir, if you
can afford to do so. I also think you should run Getmail as the vmail
user in order to have an easier time with permissions, especially if
you have a virtual domain hosting setup that involves Postfix (or any
MTA, really) as well.

Finally, you should head over to the Getmail mailing list and ask about
using Getmail with virtual users there. Charles, the author of Getmail,
is really helpful if you ask him the right questions the right way :)

Andreas
--
Andreas Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4