[Dovecot] Unable To Send Mail

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Tue May 5 22:00:07 EEST 2009

I just installed CentOS 5 + Postfix + Dovecot. Now When I send mail
via telnet from one user to another via Postfix (MTA), I have no
problem. The recipient gets the message perfectly. Now this tells me
that Postfix is working fine (I assume) but then I configured Dovecot
to use IMAP4 and then configured my Thunderbird client. Now all the
messages I previously sent using Telnet showed up in Thunderbird Inbox
but then when I attempt to send a message via Thunderbird, the message
appears to send fine however the recipient never gets it and I get no
delivery failrures back of any kind. I check the Postfix (MTA) mail
queue and it shows empty. What is causing this anyone? Does anyone
know why this is not working?

Here is my postconf -n for Postfix (MTA)

[root at nat home]# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
home_mailbox = mail/
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
mydomain = wtf.com
myhostname = nat.wtf.com
myorigin = $mydomain
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

Here is what is 'UNCOMMENTED' in my /etc/dovecot.conf

protocols = imap imaps
mail_location = maildir:~/mail
protocol imap {
imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail outlook-idle netscape-eoh
}
login_process_size = 64
protocol pop3 {
protocol lda {
protocol lda {
postmaster_address = carlos at wtf.com
}
auth default {
mechanisms = plain
passdb pam {
}
userdb passwd {
}
user = root
}
dict {
}
plugin {
}

Anyone know what is causing this problem above? Sending internal email
works fine via Telnet however when I try using my mail client / imap4,
nothing happens.