[Dovecot] Dovecot not accepting connections

Mon May 11 14:34:47 EEST 2009

On 5/10/2009, Jim (Jim at themailshack.com) wrote:
> Just wrapping up this thread, it was a firewall issue after all,
> unbeknownst to me, the mail server box itself had a firewall running,
> separate from the main firewall box protecting my LAN.  For some
> reason at boot time the local firewall was blocking connections to
> dovecot, but after restarting dovecot, all was well. I've shut down
> the firewall on the local box, which should prevent this from
> happening again in the future.

A basic firewall is not resource intensive, and I always set one up on
any box I administer... especially since I always use fail2ban to lock
out brute force attackers (requires a firewall)...

I'd recommend re-enabling it and configuring it properly... not much
effort, and is just one more layer of protection...

--

Best regards,

Charles