[Dovecot] What's faster for getting mails into Rails: Dbmail & direct MySQL or net/pop with maildir

Olaf Spaarmann olaf.spaarmann at googlemail.com
Wed May 13 14:52:06 EEST 2009

Hi,

it's my first message in this list, so please excuse any mistakes!

I have a quite specific problem and nobody in the Ruby on Rails lists
could help me, because it is actually more a question for mail-
experts. So I hope you can help me.

I'm planning to set up a mailserver using dovecot. Users of my Rails
App can forward their emails (john at doe.com) to an personal address (john.doe at myapp.com
). These emails will be received by my mailserver.

So far so good, the tricky part is to get the mails into my Rails App
for processing them. After that they will be deleted (so I'll never
accumulate a big ammount of mails on the mailserver).

I thought of 2 different approaches.

1) Just use a normal Dovecot setup, using maildir and get the mails
with a mailpoller script, connecting to the server via Pop3
2) Use Dbmail for storing the emails, don't use Pop3 but let the
mailpoller script connect to the database directly

I understand that Dbmail seems to be slower than maildir (in terms of
processing many incoming mails) but I'm not sure if a connection via
net/pop (of the mailpoller script) is maybe that much slower than
mysql that it wouldn't matter at all.

What's your opinion? I'm gratefull for every hint.

Thanks