[Dovecot] Possibly dumb questions about DC and user/system limits

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Fri May 15 21:08:00 EEST 2009

Maybe it's a D'uh for everyone else, but the reason I wasn't getting
anywhere when I increased the no_size and no_size_hard (and confirmed
that it had changed using the lsuser cmd) was that a) it needed to be
done against root, not dovecot and b) I had to exit root and re-login
for that to be part of root environment instance.  Indeed, before going
out and coming back, ulimit -n did still show 2000.  So lsuser shows the
configuration and ulimit shows the current environment.  All better
until the next time.

I was also interested to learn, while I was looking under rocks here and
there, that in AIX with a 64 bit kernel there is total number of files
that can be in use by all users of ~3,355,236.  Wouldn't it be nasty to
bump into that!

--
==== Once upon a time, the Internet was a friendly,
neighbors-helping-neighbors small town, and no one locked their doors.