[Dovecot] Unable to subscribe to newly created subfolders under public mailboxes with acl plugin enabled

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 17 21:37:21 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 18:53 +0400, Max Ivanov wrote:
> Here is my problem: if I create subfolder (lets name it "subf") under
> b2b mailbox I'm unable to subscribe to it until acl plugin is enabled.
> Even if I put dovecot-acl file in .b2b.subf folder with anyone full
> rights dovecot-acl-list doesn't get populated with new subfoler. If I
> put it there manually I'm able to see subf folder in subscribe dialog
> in TB, but dovecot-acl-list is regulary updated, isn't it? Updated
> file is missing subf entry again.

Dovecot can subscribe to all mailboxes that it sees. So you should be
less concerned about subscriptions and more concerned about LIST command
seeing the mailbox. When testing try using the LIST "" * command to see
what mailboxes exist, http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation has some
more information.

> namespace:
>   type: public
>   separator: /
>   prefix: group/
>   location: maildir:/var/spool/mail/groupmail
>   list: yes
>   subscriptions: yes

With this configuration the subscriptions for the public group/ are
shared by all users. You probably rather want subscriptions=no for that
namespace to get per-user subscriptions.

>   userdb:
>     driver: passwd
>     args: blocking=yes

So you're using system users, i.e. each user using different UIDs? That
can easily cause all kinds of problems. See
http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Permissions