[Dovecot] How to run Dovecot as IMAP Proxy?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu May 21 19:49:23 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 05:21 -0700, V S Rao wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have migrated from uw-imap to Dovecot for POP3 & IMAP service. I run
> webmail using squirrelmail. When running uw-imap I used to run
> up.imapproxyd on the webmail server for faster responses. After
> migrating to Dovecot, I find that up.imapproxyd does not work well
> with dovecot.

Why not?

> I don't understand Databases and don't want to install mysql etc for a
> simple thing like IMAP PRoxy.

Do you just want it to proxy everyone to a single destination or to
different servers based on username? If you want everyone to the same
destination, why do you even want to use a proxy?

> My question is can Dovecot be run as a IMAP PRoxy without the hassle
> of setting up mysql etc? I use /etc/passwd for auth on the actual
> dovecot server running IMAP & POP3.

Using checkpassword or SQLite would probably be the easiest solution. Or
generation of a passwd-file, but you'd have to keep it updated if users
change.