[Dovecot] How to add new features to sieve?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sat May 23 16:21:12 EEST 2009

Hi, I like the idea of switching from maildrop to dovecot deliver+sieve,
however, we use a couple of features that I'm not sure how to migrate:

- We query the userdb and make some user specific params available to
the filtering script (invented example, but say number of days to not
repeat for the vacation script)

- We have a fairly advanced filter (perl) which mangles the email in
very specific ways to support users over low bandwidth connections.  The
email is delivered twice, once to an "Archive" folder and again to the
inbox after being mangled.  How to integrate this "mangling" script?

- We have some custom routes for certain types of SMS messages, ie we
have a free email to SMS option for certain networks.  Could this be
integrated and caught in "alert" functionality (how is the sms backend
actually configured anyway?)

I think the answer is to write one or more new sieve functions to
provide this functionality, but can you give me a quickstart guide on
how to do this?  Certainly the first requirement is quite an interesting
and generic plugin "lookup_db" type function which must have wider
utility.  The second requirement is a bit more specific, kind of like an
xfilter wrapper which could be setup by the administrator I guess?

Thanks

Ed W