[Dovecot] Dovecot Max Connections & mbox vs. maildir format - Recommendations?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Sun May 24 21:23:42 EEST 2009

On 24. mai. 2009, at 20.13, V S Rao wrote:

> I am changing the subject line to reflect the discussion.
>
> I too have a similar case with large mailboxes. My user mix is 70%
> POP3 vs. 30% IMAP. Would maildir still be the best recommended
> format? What is the opinion of the experts here?
>
> The reason I am asking is that I am preparing to upgrade my mail
> server to RHEL 5.3. That would mean my Dovecot will be atleast
> 1.0.7, which should not be bad. If the recommendation is that I go
> from mbox format to Maildir, I want to plan that as well. However I
> don't want to land up in a situation where, I have to move back from
> Maildir to mbox again. So please do advice me on the best.

IIRC RHEL only supports EXT3, not XFS/JFS and so on. ext3 is nice with
large directories only if dir_index is enabled (tune2fs -O dir_index /
dev/something). If dir_index is not enabled, ext3 will perform quite
terribly with some 1000+ files in a directory. Apart from that, I
would guess maildir would be best both for IMAP and POP.

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685 / 98013356
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres
intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å