[Dovecot] little problem with lmtp and 8bitmime mail from:

ja nein reg9009 at yahoo.de
Mon May 25 19:17:00 EEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm very excited to see lmtp in dovecot now. Starting to play, I encountered following problem:

With senders in normal mail address format, everything is delivered right, lmtp works as expected. But with 8bitmime senders, like kernel mailing list, lmtp returns a 5.5.4 not supported and mail is bounced. Is this expected, meaning just not implemented, or could it be a bug?

E.g.:

Problem:

MAIL FROM:<linux-kernel-owner+info=40xxxx.com-S1753112AbZEYPtt at vger.kernel.org> BODY=8BITMIME
RCPT TO:<info at xxxx.com>
DATA
vstream_fflush_some: fd 12 flush 130
vstream_buf_get_ready: fd 12 got 89
501 5.5.4 Unsupported options

Ok:

MAIL FROM:<some.address at somewhere.com>
RCPT TO:<info at xxxx.com>
DATA
vstream_fflush_some: fd 12 flush 71
vstream_buf_get_ready: fd 12 got 36
250 2.1.0 OK
250 2.1.5 OK
354 OK

Dovecot version is latest hg dovecot-2.0 trunk.

Regards,
Sebastian