[Dovecot] Some questions about deliver

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 26 03:08:39 EEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 18:35 +0200, Axel Luttgens wrote:
> 1. Shouldn't deliver honor the first_valid_uid setting?

I'm not sure. Somehow enforcing it there seems like a bad idea to me.

> 2. What exactly is the -e option supposed to do?
..
> Note that the question may somehow be re-phrased as: when invoked
> without the -e option, under which circumstances will deliver send a
> rejection message?

Only when user is over quota. If you don't want messages to be delivered
to some users, Postfix shouldn't call deliver for the user.

> 3. Doesn't failure_exit_callback() in deliver.c tend to merge many
> (possibly dissimilar) errors into the single EX_TEMPFAIL one?

Yes. EX_TEMPFAIL is the safest choice almost always. If something
breaks, you typically want to fix it and get the mail delivered again,
instead of being rejected the first time and never seeing the mail.

> And BTW, is that function guaranteed to be always called with an EX_*
> value? Seems to be the case, but... ;-)

What do you mean? It's called with FATAL_* values and it replaces them
with EX_TEMPFAIL.