[Dovecot] status=bounced (Command died with signal 11: "/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver"

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 26 10:03:38 EEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 08:59 +0200, Chantal Rosmuller wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 May 2009 08:48:17 Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 07:49 +0200, Chantal Rosmuller wrote:
> > > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > > 0xb7e0b5bf in unsetenv () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> > > (gdb) #0  0xb7e0b5bf in unsetenv () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> > > No symbol table info available.
> > > #1  0xb7ff80dd in env_remove () from /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver
> > > No symbol table info available.
> >
> > This is a bug in glibc. It also crashes in CentOS 5. Lets see if Ubuntu
> > gets it reported to upstream:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+bug/380487
>
> Really? And this is triggered by disable_plaintext_auth = no?

Well, it's triggered by the code sequence where environment is first
cleared, and when Dovecot sees disable_plaintext_auth=no it makes sure
that it's not in environment by calling unsetenv(), which causes glibc
to crash. Having another setting in the middle adds a new environment
and works around the glibc bug.

> I moved the line but now I get status=deferred (temporary failure)
>
> probably a permission problem, I have been fiddling with the settings to solve
> the "command died" issue so I probably broke something.

Either it's not able to write to log file or it wrote the error to log
file.