[Dovecot] Missing IMAP folders after Server reboot

Eoin Kennedy ekennedy at sherlings.com
Fri May 29 16:51:08 EEST 2009

Hi,

Here is the situation, I hope somebody can help me.

Our Email server running ubuntu 8.04.1 and dovecot 1.0.10 rebooted, and when it came back up the dovecot config had changed.

Prior to the reboot, users stored their emails and folders in /var/mail/~username.

Then the config became /var/mail/username for the main Inbox and /home/~username/mail for Folders.

Now, none of the folders that users had created in their IMAP account are visible, and their contents are not in the main Inbox file.
For example, the Drafts folder was there prior to the reboot, and now it had to be created in /home/username afterwards.
These folders were not subfolders of the Inbox, but of the main IMAP root.

All users were running Thunderbird as their client.

Can they be recovered?

Thanks,

Eoin Kennedy