[Dovecot] Why : dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1 ?

Koenraad Lelong dovecot at ace-electronics.be
Tue Nov 3 14:29:58 EET 2009

Markus Schönhaber schreef:
> Koenraad Lelong:
>
>> I'm trying to activate sieve. In all tutorials I have seen I need to set
>> dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1 in Postfix's main.cf. Can anyone
>> explain why ?
>> I like to know because when I set this and the dovecot transport in
>> Postfix, I'm having problems when aliasses are used that map to
>> different recipients, i.e. info at ... results in user1 at ..., user2 at ...,
>> etc. The problems are an error from Postfix :
>> Oct 30 09:25:19 lace3 postfix/pipe[19729]: 8A77E2D5B5B:
>> to=<some.body at some.where.org>, relay=dovecot, delay=2390,
>> delays=2390/0.04/0/0.01, dsn=4.3.5, status=deferred (mail system
>> configuration error)
>> Oct 30 09:25:19 lace3 postfix/pipe[19729]: warning: pipe flag `D'
>> requires dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
>
> Well, the last message says it all: you've instructed postifx' pipe to
> add a "Delivered-To" header field to the message. And this obviously
> can't work when delivering one message to multiple recipients in one pass.
> See also:
> http://www.postfix.org/pipe.8.html

Thanks for your response, Markus.
Am I to conclude that what I'm trying to do is impossible then, with
dovecot ?
I would like to enable sieve on a system where I have aliasses which
point to multiple recipients.
For some reason dovecot needs the DRhu flags. The D flag needs
dovecot_destination_recipient_limit=1 which prevents those multiple
recipients.

Or am I missing something ?

If I would remove the D-flag, how likely it is to get a loop ?
Unfortunately I don't have a test-system at the moment.

Regards,

Koenraad Lelong.