[Dovecot] meaning of parameter imap_idle_notify_interval??

Ingo Thierack i.thierack at iwt-promotion.com
Wed Nov 4 13:48:49 EET 2009

a little bit late but now.

As far as I can see, no EXISTS, after idling

Even can't see the additional output in the logmessages.

Looks like the code is never reached?

telnet:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=DIGEST-MD5] ready.
a login xxx xxxxx
a OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH
ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH] Logged in
b select inbox
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk
\*)] Flags permitted.
* 6 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1252958392] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 41] Predicted next UID
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 104] Highest
b OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
c idle
+ idling
* OK Still here
* OK Still here

logfile

Nov 04 12:20:47 dovecot: Info: This is Dovecot's info log
Nov 04 12:20:47 dovecot: Warning: This is Dovecot's warning log
Nov 04 12:20:47 dovecot: Error: This is Dovecot's error log
Nov 04 12:20:47 dovecot: Fatal: This is Dovecot's fatal log
Nov 04 12:25:01 IMAP(ingo): Info: Effective uid=20000, gid=20000,
home=/mnt/mail/home/ingo
Nov 04 12:25:01 IMAP(ingo): Info: dbox:
data=/mnt/mail/mail/ingo:INDEX=/var/spool/indexes/ingo
Nov 04 12:25:01 IMAP(ingo): Info: fs: root=/mnt/mail/mail/ingo,
index=/var/spool/indexes/ingo, control=, inbox=
Nov 04 12:25:01 imap-login: Info: Login: user=<ingo>, method=PLAIN,
rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: Loading modules from
directory: /opt/dovecot/lib/dovecot/lda
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: Module loaded:
/opt/dovecot/lib/dovecot/lda/lib90_sieve_plugin.so
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: auth input:
home=/mnt/mail/home/ingo
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: auth input:
mail=dbox:/mnt/mail/mail/ingo:INDEX=/var/spool/indexes/ingo
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: auth input: uid=20000
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: auth input: gid=20000
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: dbox:
data=/mnt/mail/mail/ingo:INDEX=/var/spool/indexes/ingo
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: fs:
root=/mnt/mail/mail/ingo, index=/var/spool/indexes/ingo, control=, inbox=
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: sieve: using sieve
path for user's script: /mnt/mail/home/ingo/.dovecot.sieve
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: sieve: opening script
/mnt/mail/home/ingo/.dovecot.sieve
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: sieve: executing
compiled script /mnt/mail/home/ingo/.dovecot.sieve
Nov 04 12:26:28 deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): Info: sieve:
after that nothing more. Must I change some switch?

raw-log in

<<<b select
inbox

<<<c
idle

raw-log out

* OK [RAWLOG TIMESTAMP] 2009-11-04
12:25:01

<<<a OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDL
E CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH] Logged in

* OK [RAWLOG TIMESTAMP] 2009-11-04
12:25:15

<<<* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft
NonJunk)

* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk
\*)] Flags permitted.
* 6
EXISTS

* 0